Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 4th Weekend Wrap Up

Our July 4th weekend was pretty laid-back, we never felt like we were rushing from place-to-place, which was nice.  I was out of the office Friday as we were attending my husband's step-grandfather's funeral.  Papaw lived a long life and died in his sleep last weekend.  We were very sad to hear of his passing but it is, I think, somewhat comforting to know that he went so peacefully.  The service was very nice - one of the grandchildren did a great job with the eulogy - telling funny stories about Papaw, many that I had never heard before.  The burial was quite a bit South of here (about 100 miles) and driving back up 35E, we saw some interesting landmarks.  We stopped at Dairy Queen for a little Blizzard snack (sorry, carb desert!) and this is what we saw:
This used to be some kind of arcade at one point.  It is closed now, otherwise we totally would have gone in to check it out.  Right next to it was this:
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it is a caterpillar made out of domes.  Apparently whatever town we were in has some sort of 'Dome Institute.'  I'm going to have to learn more about this!  I'm not sure if there was anything inside the caterpillar or not, but I really want to find out.  I'm going to try to decipher the website on the side (thank you, crap BlackBerry camera).

Friday and Saturday we contended with the rain leftover from Hurricane Alex.  We had tickets to the Frisco RoughRiders, our minor-league baseball team, and were taking my parents.  About 30 minutes before we were planning on leaving to head to the ballpark, a huge deluge of rain came through.  So, we waited it out and headed to one of our favorites, Kenny's Burger Joint, to have dinner while they finished the first game of their double-header.  We headed over to the park half-hoping that the game would be delayed to Sunday, but no such luck.  But, as soon as husbie went to buy us ponchos, it stopped raining!  :)  Go figure.  Here's Ava all wrapped up:
They did a fireworks show after the game, which was really impressive.  Ava loves fireworks like a fat kid loves cake, so she was super pumped.  We finally got home around midnight and let her do a couple of sparklers before bed.  Considering her usual bedtime is 8:30PM, she did exceptionally well staying up that late!

The rain finally subsided by Sunday morning.  Husbie earned mega brownie points by letting me sleep in until 11 AM!  I don't remember the last time I've slept that late.  I battled major sinus issues all weekend, so I definitely appreciated getting some extra zzz's.  We went over to our neighborhood pool for a bit, then after Ava's nap we headed to hang out with husbie's parents and go to Rockwall's fireworks celebration.  It had cooled off just enough in the evening to the most pleasant temperature I remember on the 4th in Dallas.  Socke Monkie joined us for the festivities.


Yesterday we took it easy and hung out around the house.  I worked on some of the decorations for bestie's baby shower and we also went to my parent's for lunch and swimming.
It was a great weekend!  I'm super pumped about having a 3-day work week and having a sibling cook-out and game night at our house next weekend.  Just have to get through the next 3 days!

Happy Monday Tuesday!

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity