Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Book Review - Twenties Girl

Twenties Girl: A NovelLast night I finished up Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella.  Sophie's books have always been among my favorites - not only the Shopaholic books, but also her titles written under Madeline Wickham.  I will say, Twenties Girl was a overall good, but just a smidge disappointing.

To sum up the story, without giving up the ending/important details along the way, Lara attends a funeral for her great aunt and while it is in progress, she becomes haunted by her great aunt, Sadie.  Sadie reveals to Lara that she is looking for a necklace, a necklace that Lara knows nothing about, as she only bet Sadie a couple of times as a child.  Lara is now tasked with helping Sadie find the necklace so that she might pass on.

While I enjoyed the overall story and many parts of it, I thought that it drug.  I found myself skipping through paragraphs and pages that I thought were monotonous or embarrassing for Lara.  (total sidenote - I do not like to feel embarassed for lead characters in any situation - TV shows, movies, books, etc.)  I absolutley loved the ending and the way Lara's character evolved and grew with Sadie's help and completely unsolicited advice.

Would I recommend this to a friend?  Yes.  Though it is slow at times, it is a great story with likable characters and I great ending.  If you like Sophie Kinsella, or have never read any of her books, it's definitely worth a read.

I rate it:




 Any other Sophie Kinsella fans out there?  What are some of your favorite titles of hers?

2 comments:

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

I read the book awhile ago, but I remember liking it a lot. I do remember thinking the same thing about dragging on. I like her books too (under both pen names!)

Becca said...

I liked Twenties Girl but I enjoyed the Shopaholic series better! Her very first Shopaholic book was my favorite! Her writing is hilarious.

p.s. new follower! Love your blog!

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity