So, here I am on day 6 of my carb desert. Only 8 more days to go, woo hoo! Not that I can go out and start eating everything in sight, but at least I can have a piece of wheat toast. So far, I'm down 3.5 lbs. Halfway there! I'd probably be a little further along if husbie and I hadn't gone to Mattito's last night. :(
I know a few of you are also joining me in this New Year's carb desert, and I've had a few questions on the South Beach diet and low/no carb eating in general, so here are my no carb fails and fabs. At least, at this point, I have more fabs than fails!
Fails
-Eating what I thought was not too many chips and 1/2 a tortilla at Mattito's yesterday. Bad move.
-Eating what I thought was not too many chips and 1/2 a tortilla at Mattito's yesterday. Bad move.
-Drinking too many Diet Cokes and not enough water/crystal light
Fabs
-Putting salsa on everything. Market Street salsa, to be exact. It rocks.
-The 100 calorie packs of almonds. I tend to go overboard on nuts (get your mind out of the gutter, y'all), so the packages help control that.
-Making huge pitchers of Crystal Light at work. Water gets so boring.
-Eating every time I feel hungry, and only until I'm not hungry anymore. I end up eating here and there, pretty much all day long, even if it's only a stick of cheese or almonds
Here are a few recipes I've tried over the last few days. I am not someone that likes (or has time) to cook really involved things during the week, so these are pretty simple, yummy, and carb free (or as close to it as possible)
Crustless Quiche
Ingredients:
12 eggs (yes, that's a lot)
1 large can evaporated milk
2 cups cheese (I use white cheddar or monterrey jack)
Meat and/or veggies of your choosing (I used diced ham)
3 shakes Lawry's seasoning salt
Instructions:
Grease 9x13 pan well (I use PAM), sprinkle cheese on bottom of pan,
layer meat/veggies on top
layer meat/veggies on top
In medium mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk and seasoning**
Pour over cheese, meat/veggies
Bake at 300* for 50 to 60 minutes. Knife inserted in center should come
out clean.
out clean.
Notes:
I like to top with salsa afterward. Yum-O!
I cook this in advance and warm it up for breakfast, mid-morning snack,
or lunch
or lunch
Ladies, please be sure to beat your eggs all the way. I made the mistake
of trying to beat mine using my mixer. This did NOT work. It came out
with the whites showing, although it still wasn't bad, but it could be better.
Next time I will use my immersion blender. When I told my mother this,
she said, 'Well, I just use a wisk.' Wow, sorry mom, I use things that
plug in.
of trying to beat mine using my mixer. This did NOT work. It came out
with the whites showing, although it still wasn't bad, but it could be better.
Next time I will use my immersion blender. When I told my mother this,
she said, 'Well, I just use a wisk.' Wow, sorry mom, I use things that
plug in.
Baked Salsa Chicken (did I mention I'm putting salsa on everything?!?)
Ingredients:
Skinless, bonless chicken breast halves (however many meet your
need)
need)
16 ounces of your fav salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheese (of your choosing - I like cheddar jack or taco
cheese)
cheese)
Instructions:
Spray shallow baking dish with PAM, place chicken
Pour salsa over chicken, coating evenly
Bake at 350* for 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (clear
juices, people, clear juices)
juices, people, clear juices)
Stir the sauce in the dish and spoon over the chicken. Sprinkle with
cheese. Place back into oven before cheese is melted.
cheese. Place back into oven before cheese is melted.
Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients:
4 assorted colors bell peppers
1 lb ground beef (you could use ground turkey, but I'm not a fan)
1 lb ground beef (you could use ground turkey, but I'm not a fan)
1 onion
Taco seasoning, to taste
Salt, to taste
2 cups shredded cheese of your choosing
Instructions:
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350*
Brown ground beef, then add in chopped onion, salt, taco seasoning
Cut peppers in half and remove all seeds
Place peppers in baking dish and fill with ground beef, sprinkle with
cheese
cheese
Bake 20 minutes
Top with... wait for it... salsa!
Do y'all have any carbless recipes to share? I'd love to hear them! If they are online somewhere that you can direct link to, use the linky below:
Lastly, don't forget to enter the Puppy Dogs 'N Polka Dots giveaway! The giveaway closes at midnight on Thursday, January 14th.





7 comments:
Totally stealing your crustless quiche recipe.
Not sure if its "carb" free, but totally delish -- and mimiced after California Pizza Kitchen's salad...
- Cook shrimp in extra virgin oliver oil, until full cooked (we used 1/2 lb for two people). Sprinkle with Old Bay if desired. Once cooked add in one can of canned crabmeat. Heat until warm.
- In separate bowls, add lettuce, brocolli slaw, half an avacodo, edamame beans, and a cumcumber (plus whatever else you may want).
- Top with shrimp and crab mix.
- Top with low-cal/fat free dressing of your choice. We used a garlic asiago dressing.
So yummy!
I linked up PW's Tequila Lime Chicken. Have you tried it before? OMG it's the best thing EVER!
When I low-carb, we always eat a lot of grilled meats and veggies - tilapia, chicken, salmon, hamburger steaks, etc.
I'm doing ok, but my scale is packed an in storage. LOL. So... who really knows. LOL
I have been on a MAJOR "drink more water" kick this week. But wanted to share these wonderful packets of goodness with you. (If you like lemon in your water, that is) They're called TrueLemon. If you hate plain water (like you and I do), these are little packets of real crystalized lemon (no calories/no carbs) - and they taste JUST like you squeezed fresh lemon in your water. It's helped me drink a lot more! Go to www.truelemon.com to find where you can buy them near you!
water is key!!
Good job on all the fabs this week! Your carb-free recipes sound delish, I am so going to try them out this next week. Thanks so much for the motivation and inspiration to eat healthier and carb-free!
Good job with the no-carb thing! That would be SO hard for me. I linked a super easy chicken recipe that I really like. Plus it would go well with salsa. :)
Sorry, I couldn't get the linky to work. I just realized this is super similar to the one above!
http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/healthy-5-ingredient-chicken-recipes-00400000053257/page17.html
Or what about minestrone soup with tons of veggies?
Post a Comment